At least one dead man: Typhoon hits Japan with force

              Saturday, October 12, 2019

The typhoon destroyed houses and cars in Japan. Torrential rain caused in places for landslides and floods.
(Photo: picture alliance / Katsuya Miyagawa / Kyodo News / dpa)

              With heavy rain and gale force, typhoon "Hagibis" hits land in Japan. Dozens of people are injured, there is at least one dead. Landslides go down, streets are submerged. The Greater Tokyo shakes just before the arrival of the storm, an earthquake.
              An exceptionally strong typhoon hit Tokyo and surrounding areas with torrential rain and killed at least one person. Dozens were injured in the squalls, as the Japanese TV station NHK reported. More than three million residents were asked to move to safety. In places, landslides were down, some streets were under water, some houses in Greater Tokyo were partly badly damaged. The hurricane "Hagibis", which is simply called number 19 in Japan, hit the peninsula Izu near Tokyo on land. Shortly before, the Tokyo metropolitan area was hit by a 5.7 magnitude earthquake in the evening. However, the danger of a tsunami did not exist, as the Meteorological Authority announced. Also, there were no reports of injuries as a result of the shock. Because of the danger of the rain as a result of the typhoon, the authorities for Tokyo and six other regions had for the first time issued the highest warning level. In the evening (local time), however, the intensity of the hurricane was downgraded from "very strong" to "strong". Many department stores and stores in Tokyo and the surrounding area remained closed. In some of the shops in the capital, shelves were empty, as many residents took precautionary supplies of water and food. Streets and stations were deserted. Railway operators had timely announced restrictions on traffic for the weekend in the west and east, including Tokyo. The All Nippon Airways (ANA) airline canceled all domestic flights and most international flights to and from both Tokyo's Haneda and Narita airports on Saturday. Japan Airlines (JAL) also decided to cancel most flights. The cyclone with wind speeds up to 216 kilometers per hour threatened to hit the capital Tokyo and other areas in the east of the country with the worst rains since the typhoon that killed more than 1200 people in the region in 1958. At least one man killedThe authorities warned early that houses could collapse in the strong squalls. Some residents covered the roofs of their often light-weight built houses as a precaution with blue plastic tarpaulins. Some stuck their windows off, worried that they might burst in the storm. Others barricaded them with boards. The hurricane caused rivers in Tokyo area to swell threateningly. Rescue operations became much more difficult after dark. Japanese television showed scenes from Tokyo's neighbor Kawasaki, where a man was rescued from a flooded residential building. The firemen worked their way up to their hips in the water. In Tokyo's neighboring province of Chiba, where a typhoon had already raged in September and led to massive blackouts, at least one person was killed when a truck overturned in the squalls. Several people suffered minor injuries. Hundreds of thousands were cut off from the power supply in the meantime. Companies like Toyota and Honda, the big automakers, left the tapes in some of their factories that day. The Tokyo government ordered all relevant ministries to take necessary action to deal with the consequences of the typhoon. Out of concern for the imminent effects of the typhoon, the Formula 1 qualifier for the Japanese Grand Prix will take place on race Sunday. All activities scheduled for Saturday on the Suzuka International Racing Course have been canceled. Also two games in the current Rugby World Cup in Japan had to be canceled. According to forecasts from the authorities, the hurricane was to move further north during the night and leave on Sunday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *